Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review: LEGEND

by Marie Lu, published in 2011

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


My Thoughts

Unfortunately, Legend fell a little short for me--I think because I do not fall under its intended audience. I've enjoyed a lot of YA dystopian books lately, including The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and The Maze Runner by James Dashner, even though I am older than their target audience. Now, perhaps I am just getting a little tired of dystopia (and I think I am), but I feel like this book was not meant for anyone older than 18.

For one thing, the two different font styles and colours used in the book (one for each of the two narrators) scream younger audience. I found them a little distracting.

For another, I am not much for the theme of beautiful girl meets beautiful boy and they fall madly in love after the first few seconds of meeting. I'd rather they were given time to get to know each other and develop their relationship, but that's just me. The main characters are fifteen years old, though, so I'm guessing the right reader for this book would be around that age as well and would eat this story up.

I am not trying to cut down this book, as I admire Marie Lu's writing and think it was a great adventure story with an interesting plot twist and some fun action. I thought June's character was especially well done--she is the "perfect," incredibly intelligent soldier (as evidenced by her keen observations throughout the tale), but blinded by the government and forced to come to terms with brutal reality. Day's personality could have been a little more developed, as he spends most of his time worrying about his family, but perhaps that will come in the next book.

So in short, Legend was well written, entertaining, probably even captivating for its intended YA audience... just not quite my style.

4 comments:

  1. This book is getting so much attention. I'll probably read it eventually, just out of curiosity since I still like the dystopian genre. Also, I think they already sold the movie rights. Lucky author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how it would translate well into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review! I didn't get too caught up in dystopia. After the hunger games, Matched, and Possession, I pretty much gave it a break for awhile. The premise for this sounds interesting enough. Looking forward to your post for the origins blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison. I'm just stopping by as an Origins Blogfest co-host, and am now your newest follower. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete