Monday, December 5, 2011

Top 10 TV Countdown - #5: CHUCK

"Oh I see. You're going to shoot me to prevent me from blowing up. That's a great plan." 
-- Chuck Bartowski

Chuck's got it all: action, suspense, mystery, romance, comedy. That's why I love it so much. I know it's not technically sci-fi or fantasy, but it's got enough geek factor that I'm including it on my list anyway.

Chuck is a computer nerd who works at a Buy More, until he accidentally downloads government secrets into his brain (that's pretty much the only sci-fi element of the show). His life turns upside down as two government agents are assigned to protect him and use his knowledge for various missions.

Sarah is the sexy, mysterious agent sent by the CIA. Casey is the growling, fighting machine sent by the NSA. Together, the three have to hide Chuck's new spy status from his friends and family and complete dangerous missions for the government.

What's not to like, right?

It is Zachary Levi's stellar acting as Chuck and the phenomenal supporting cast that make this show great. Chuck's sister, Ellie, is sweet and loveable; her husband whom Chuck nicknames Captain Awesome is... well... awesome; Chuck's best friend Morgan is hilarious and geeky; the co-workers at the Buy More are appropriately annoying and bring a lot of humour to the show.

One of the other things I love most about Chuck is the bits of nerdy information dropped in everywhere. Almost anyone will like this show, but if you are a nerd familiar with Star Wars, Tron, Indiana Jones, and the like, you will enjoy it all the more.

I am sorry to say that the later seasons are not as good as the first two. I am still watching the last season, Season 5, as it airs now, but it is merely "pretty good" while the first two seasons were amazing. Go watch them if you haven't. Right now.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like I might have to check out this show since it sounds like it has considerable geek factor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend it! The most recent episode I watched threw in some subtle implications about how the new Star Wars movies and the latest Indiana Jones movie were a mistake, and I was so pleased that SOMEONE in the film/tv industry commented on that. haha. Thanks for dropping in!

    ReplyDelete